What is a cookie?
A cookies it is a text file harmless which is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of cookies is that the web is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know cookies They have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan horse, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookies?
The cookies They do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they store is of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but rather your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try browsing the same website with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the website does not realize that you are the same person because it is actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user and a registered user are browsing, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic website.
- cookies analysis: They collect information on the type of navigation you are doing, the sections you use the most, products consulted, time slot of use, language, etc.
- cookies advertising: They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of third parties?
The own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the from third parties are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable the cookies?
In order for you to understand the scope that deactivating the cookies Here are some examples:
- You will not be able to share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to your personal preferences, as is often the case in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My account, either My profile either My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible for you to make purchases online, they will have to be by phone or by visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographical preferences such as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and web traffic, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you will not be able to upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will also not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
Can you remove the cookies?
Yes. Not only delete, but also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove the cookies of a website you must go to the settings of your browser and there you can search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here's how to access a cookies determined from the browser Chrome. Note: These steps may vary depending on your browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click on the option show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list will appear with all the cookies sorted by domain. To make it easier for you to find the cookies of a certain domain enter partially or totally the address in the field Search cookies.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the requested website. Now just select it and press the X to proceed with its elimination.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser internet explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to set the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- Go to Options either preferences depending on your operating system.
- click on Privacy.
- In Record choose Use custom settings for history.
- You will now see the option Accept cookies, you can turn it on or off according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for OS X follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- Go to preferences, later Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option block cookies for you to set the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies of the browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- Go to Settings, later Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, you will see the option block cookies for you to set the type of lock you want to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies browser for devices Android follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- Launch the browser and press the key Menu, later Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies to check or uncheck the box.
To access the configuration of cookies browser for devices windows phone follow these steps (may vary depending on browser version):
- open internet explorer, later Plus, later Setting
- You can now check or uncheck the box allow cookies.